Requirements to obtain a marriage license in Rhode Island:
- Individuals must be 18 or older to obtain a marriage license.
- Females must be at least 16 years old with parental consent.
- No medical exam or waiting period is required.
- A birth certificate is required for proof of birth. A passport or alien card may be accepted for persons born outside the United States who cannot obtain a birth record.
- A valid government issued form of identification. Some offices will not accept a
passport without a certified copy of a birth certificate.
- Once issued, the license is valid for three (3) months.
- If both people live in Rhode Island, the license can be obtained in the town of any of the residents.
- If only one person lives in Rhode Island, the license must be obtained in the town of the RI resident.
- If both people live out of state, the license must be obtained in the clerks' office of the city or town where the marriage ceremony will be performed.
- License cost is $24.00 payable to the city or town.
- The RI government site has more information.
- You can print the PDF here..
City Halls and Clerk's Offices: Providence, Warwick, Cranston, Pawtucket, East
Providence, Woonsocket, Newport
RI Marriage License Requirements >>